Skip to main content

Two Gentlemen of Cricklewood

Before Cricklewood became industrialised at the turn of the 20th century, it was a small village near Kilburn. Several villas were built on the Edgware Road near Childs Hill Lane (today’s Cricklewood Lane). This is a brief story of two interesting men who lived in these villas.

In 1854 William Edward Kilburn married Louisa Ludham Tootal in St John’s Church Hampstead. She was the daughter of Henry Tootal, the chairman of the North London Railway Company, who lived in Finchley New Road. The NLR built today’s London Overground line to Richmond and other lines in Docklands.

William and Louisa moved to Woodbrooke House (sometimes called Woodbrook) in Cricklewood, where they stayed for several years before moving to St John’s Wood. William Edward Kilburn was an important early photographer who had opened a studio in Regent Street in 1845. Here he produced daguerreotype portraits of fashionable people. The daguerreotype was invented in France by Louis Daguerre and Nicéphore Niépce and became the first publicly available photographic process. It produced a very detailed black and white image on a sheet of polished silver-plated copper. 

For more information see this short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d932Q6jYRg8 

Prince Albert who was very interested in science and technology, commissioned W.E. Kilburn to take a photograph of the Chartist meeting on Kennington Common in 1848. The image was used to make a woodblock by the Illustrated London News and published on 15 April 1848. It has been claimed this was the first woodblock image to be made from a photo and used in a newspaper.

(Interesting that the images are reversed).

Colourised daguerreotype by W.E. Kilburn

Prince Albert asked Kilburn to take photographs of the Royal family, and this considerably increased his popularity. Kilburn advertised himself as ‘Her Majesty’s Daguerrotypist’.

This 1848 daguerreotype image of Prince Albert by Kilburn has been hand-coloured.

The second gentleman of Cricklewood was James Willing junior who is shown living in Rock Hall (or Rockhall) on the 1881 and 1891 censuses. 

James Willing junior, in his Freemason regalia

His father James Willing senior had founded an advertising company in 1840. They arranged for the wall space, found the advertisers, and organised the printing and pasting up of the posters. 

Bill Posters, 1877

Willing was the first man to make money by leasing advertising space on toll gates. They became a major advertising company and set up Willing House in Gray’s Inn Road and published the annual Willings Press Guide. 

There is a link to Camden in the 1970s and 1980s when Willimg House was the office of Camden Social Services led by Kenneth Urwin.

Rock Hall and Woodbrooke were still there when companies like Handley Page and Smiths Industries were set up and came to dominate Cricklewood. The position of the houses is shown on this 1896 OS map.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1994 IRA Attack on Heathrow: the West Hampstead connection

Just before 6pm on Wednesday 9 March 1994 four mortars shells hit Heathrow Airport . Earlier, news agencies had been telephoned by a man with an Irish accent and using a known IRA code word he said, ‘In one hour’s time, a large number of bombs will be going off in Heathrow Airport . Clear all runways. Stop all flights’. The Anti-Terrorist branch of the Metropolitan Police and airport officials decided not to close the airport after a sweep of the terminal buildings and the runways found nothing suspicious. About 45 mins after the mortars landed they closed Heathrow. The missiles had been launched over the airport fence from 6ft-long tubes fitted in the back of a red Nissan Micra parked about 400 yards away in the Excelsior Hotel car park, just outside the airport. After launching the missiles, a charge inside the car set it on fire and the blaze spread to surrounding cars. The Nissan had been stolen in Kilburn the previous Saturday night and fitted with false number plate...

Looking for Lillie Langtry

‘A Jersey Lily’ by John Everett Millais, 1878 Lillie Langtry, known as the ‘Jersey Lily’, was a mistress of Bertie the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII. It is widely believed that she lived in South Hampstead and today her name is remembered by Langtry Road which runs off Kilburn Priory, Langtry Walk in the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, and the Lillie Langtry pub at 121 Abbey Road, on the corner with Belsize Road. The Lillie Langtry was built in 1969 to replace a demolished Victorian pub, The Princess of Wales, named in honour of Alexandra, Edward’s wife. In 2007 it was briefly called The Cricketers before the name reverted to The Lillie Langtry in 2011. Lillie Langtry’s address is given as Leighton House, 103 Alexandra Road which is now demolished and lies under the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate. It was thought that Bertie visited her there during their affair which lasted from about June 1877 to June 1880. The dates are approximate as there is little evidence of...

Kilburn National Club

This popular music venue was at 234 Kilburn High Road, on the corner of Messina Avenue. Many famous musicians including Johnny Cash and David Bowie played there. We look at the original building which was the Grange Cinema, and what happened when the National closed and was taken over by two different church groups. Grange Cinema The Grange was a large mansion standing in grounds of nine and a half acres and with a frontage to Kilburn High Road. It was the home of Ada Peters the widow of a wealthy coach builder who made coaches for Queen Victoria . Following Ada ’s death in 1910, the property was sold. The new owner was Oswald Stoll, a major name in the entertainment world who had already built the London Coliseum in St Martin ’s Lane, near Leicester Square . Stoll wanted to erect another Coliseum theatre in Kilburn. In fact, progress overtook him and instead of a theatre, the 2,028 seat Grange cinema opened on 30 July 1914 . This remained the biggest cinema in Kilburn until the...