Skip to main content

The Fairy Lamps of Cricklewood

The Gas Works 

In 1869 the Childs Hill Gas works was built off Cricklewood Lane at the Childs Hill end of the road. Over time, they provided gas to homes and businesses across an area from The Hyde Edgware to Golders Green, including Cricklewood and parts of Kilburn. The name of the gas works changed several times as they expanded their coverage.

The proprietor, Henry Skoines, a gas engineer, advertised his improved and patented method of producing gas in 1873 which was in use in Tenby and his own Kilburn and Cricklewood Gas Co. Shares were issued for his Coal Economy Gas Co. in Nov 1873.

In early 1876, the Midland Railway built their own gas works at Hendon to supply gas to their stations from Hendon to St Pancras. So Skoines lost his main contract. In May 1877 he sold the 10 miles of mains and meters for £3,750 (today worth about £380,000) to the very large Gas Light and Coke Co. which supplied gas to most of London. 

Clarkes Patent Pyramid and Fairy Lamp
At the same time Clarkes candle makers bought the site from Skoines. The local Childs Hill builders Messrs Baths and Sons made extensive alterations to the old gas works to turn it into a candle factory.

Samuel Clarke had established the company in the 1840s. His son Samuel Birdsey Clarke joined him. He was born in February 1857, one of eight children. Birdsey was his mother's maiden name. 

There were Clarke showrooms at Nos. 75, 123, and 132 Regent Street. They only made the candles, and commissioned a large range of shades from various glass manufacturers which were stamped with the Clarke logo of a fairy.


They made a slow burning candle and light called Cricklite (named after Cricklewood).
Their patented Pyramid candle had a thick plaster shell which allowed it to burn alone for hours without the protection of glass.

 
One of their best sellers was called the Burglar’s Horror.

 They made the candles from tallow and rendered the animal fat in the Cricklewood works. Samuel B. Clarke, aged 24, is shown as manager there of the ‘Pyramid Night Light Factory’ in the 1881 census. 

The company were very good at promotion and marketing. For example, they provided 23,000 Fairy lights for the Botanical Gardens at Kew for Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee Fete in 1887. Clarke exhibited at the Chicago World’s Fair of 1893 as well as other exhibitions.

The company vigorously protected their patent and there are numerous records of legal actions taken against those who infringed the Clarke patents, logo, or trade names.

Eventually, as profits declined, the company was wound up in July 1910 by Samuel B Clarke.
He sold out to the rival Prices Candle Company who continued to use the name Clarkes Pyramid Works into the 1920s. The name was changed to Francis A Tucker and Co Ltd, candle makers of 31 Ashley Place Victoria Street and Cricklewood. They are shown in Cricklewood from at least 1928 to 1954. In fact, the company was still under the control of Prices Candles who had bought the renowned church candle maker Tucker and Co. in 1911. 

The un-named candle factory is still shown on 1950s OS map.

Francis Tucker and Co. was there until Hendon Council built the Longberrys estate.

Today, there are Fairy Lamp collector clubs who value the many Clarke models.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1994 IRA Attack on Heathrow: the West Hampstead connection

Just before 6pm on Wednesday 9 March 1994 four mortars shells hit Heathrow Airport . Earlier, news agencies had been telephoned by a man with an Irish accent and using a known IRA code word he said, ‘In one hour’s time, a large number of bombs will be going off in Heathrow Airport . Clear all runways. Stop all flights’. The Anti-Terrorist branch of the Metropolitan Police and airport officials decided not to close the airport after a sweep of the terminal buildings and the runways found nothing suspicious. About 45 mins after the mortars landed they closed Heathrow. The missiles had been launched over the airport fence from 6ft-long tubes fitted in the back of a red Nissan Micra parked about 400 yards away in the Excelsior Hotel car park, just outside the airport. After launching the missiles, a charge inside the car set it on fire and the blaze spread to surrounding cars. The Nissan had been stolen in Kilburn the previous Saturday night and fitted with false number plate...

Looking for Lillie Langtry

‘A Jersey Lily’ by John Everett Millais, 1878 Lillie Langtry, known as the ‘Jersey Lily’, was a mistress of Bertie the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII. It is widely believed that she lived in South Hampstead and today her name is remembered by Langtry Road which runs off Kilburn Priory, Langtry Walk in the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, and the Lillie Langtry pub at 121 Abbey Road, on the corner with Belsize Road. The Lillie Langtry was built in 1969 to replace a demolished Victorian pub, The Princess of Wales, named in honour of Alexandra, Edward’s wife. In 2007 it was briefly called The Cricketers before the name reverted to The Lillie Langtry in 2011. Lillie Langtry’s address is given as Leighton House, 103 Alexandra Road which is now demolished and lies under the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate. It was thought that Bertie visited her there during their affair which lasted from about June 1877 to June 1880. The dates are approximate as there is little evidence of...

Kilburn National Club

This popular music venue was at 234 Kilburn High Road, on the corner of Messina Avenue. Many famous musicians including Johnny Cash and David Bowie played there. We look at the original building which was the Grange Cinema, and what happened when the National closed and was taken over by two different church groups. Grange Cinema The Grange was a large mansion standing in grounds of nine and a half acres and with a frontage to Kilburn High Road. It was the home of Ada Peters the widow of a wealthy coach builder who made coaches for Queen Victoria . Following Ada ’s death in 1910, the property was sold. The new owner was Oswald Stoll, a major name in the entertainment world who had already built the London Coliseum in St Martin ’s Lane, near Leicester Square . Stoll wanted to erect another Coliseum theatre in Kilburn. In fact, progress overtook him and instead of a theatre, the 2,028 seat Grange cinema opened on 30 July 1914 . This remained the biggest cinema in Kilburn until the...