Skip to main content

King George V visits Cricklewood

In the middle of WWI large numbers of servicemen were returning home with permanent injuries. In Manchester Henry Lesser Rothbard an India Rubber manufacturer, was disturbed because so many men could not get work. He wrote to hundreds of employers across the country and then sent a pamphlet to Parliament in 1915. He suggested a scheme in which every company with more than 10 employees, should ensure that no less than 5% of the workforce were disabled ex-servicemen. He wanted royal patronage for the idea which would be called The King’s National Roll Scheme (KNRS). Every business who took part would be able to use the King’s Seal on their office stationary. Although some interest was shown the scheme was not implemented. In 1917 a Rothbard Parliamentary Committee was set up to assess the feasibility of the scheme. By Xmas 1918 over 500,000 men had been discharged with permanent disabilities. In May 1919 about 38,000 had registered at employment exchanges and the scheme looked more appealing. A new Minister of Labour TJ McNamara, pressed for the introduction of the KNRS and it was launched on 15 September 1919 – four years after Rothbard had suggested it. It was a voluntary scheme, and with royal support and lots of publicity it was very successful. 

It included an Industrial Training Scheme under which the Ministry of Labour commandeered industrial buildings, munition factories and other sites – there were a total of 52 factories and 252 smaller training centres. One of the larger factories which opened in 1920, was at Nos. 255, 257 and 259 Cricklewood Broadway, near the corner with Mora Road.

On 7 June 1920 King George V and Queen Mary visited the Cricklewood factory. There were 370 disabled ex-service men in training. A staff of 43 instructors delivered classes in plumbing, painting and decorating, carpentry and bricklaying etc. The photo shows the King trying his hand at bricklaying.

British Caudron factory from Mark Amies ‘Flying Up the Edgware Road’ (Brent Archives)

The building had previously been the British Caudron aeroplane factory. The Ministry of Labour Training Centre was here from 1920 until 1927 when Rolls Razor took over. They diversified under John Bloom and made washing machines in Cricklewood. Bloom controversially created the ‘Washing Machine Wars’ of 1962–1964 when he drastically reduced prices by direct sales that cut out the retailers who complained about unfair practises. His machines were about half the price of those from the shops. But in July 1964 his company suddenly went into voluntary liquidation which raised questions in Parliament, and the factory was closed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1994 IRA Attack on Heathrow: the West Hampstead connection

Just before 6pm on Wednesday 9 March 1994 four mortars shells hit Heathrow Airport . Earlier, news agencies had been telephoned by a man with an Irish accent and using a known IRA code word he said, ‘In one hour’s time, a large number of bombs will be going off in Heathrow Airport . Clear all runways. Stop all flights’. The Anti-Terrorist branch of the Metropolitan Police and airport officials decided not to close the airport after a sweep of the terminal buildings and the runways found nothing suspicious. About 45 mins after the mortars landed they closed Heathrow. The missiles had been launched over the airport fence from 6ft-long tubes fitted in the back of a red Nissan Micra parked about 400 yards away in the Excelsior Hotel car park, just outside the airport. After launching the missiles, a charge inside the car set it on fire and the blaze spread to surrounding cars. The Nissan had been stolen in Kilburn the previous Saturday night and fitted with false number plate...

Looking for Lillie Langtry

‘A Jersey Lily’ by John Everett Millais, 1878 Lillie Langtry, known as the ‘Jersey Lily’, was a mistress of Bertie the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII. It is widely believed that she lived in South Hampstead and today her name is remembered by Langtry Road which runs off Kilburn Priory, Langtry Walk in the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, and the Lillie Langtry pub at 121 Abbey Road, on the corner with Belsize Road. The Lillie Langtry was built in 1969 to replace a demolished Victorian pub, The Princess of Wales, named in honour of Alexandra, Edward’s wife. In 2007 it was briefly called The Cricketers before the name reverted to The Lillie Langtry in 2011. Lillie Langtry’s address is given as Leighton House, 103 Alexandra Road which is now demolished and lies under the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate. It was thought that Bertie visited her there during their affair which lasted from about June 1877 to June 1880. The dates are approximate as there is little evidence of...

Kilburn National Club

This popular music venue was at 234 Kilburn High Road, on the corner of Messina Avenue. Many famous musicians including Johnny Cash and David Bowie played there. We look at the original building which was the Grange Cinema, and what happened when the National closed and was taken over by two different church groups. Grange Cinema The Grange was a large mansion standing in grounds of nine and a half acres and with a frontage to Kilburn High Road. It was the home of Ada Peters the widow of a wealthy coach builder who made coaches for Queen Victoria . Following Ada ’s death in 1910, the property was sold. The new owner was Oswald Stoll, a major name in the entertainment world who had already built the London Coliseum in St Martin ’s Lane, near Leicester Square . Stoll wanted to erect another Coliseum theatre in Kilburn. In fact, progress overtook him and instead of a theatre, the 2,028 seat Grange cinema opened on 30 July 1914 . This remained the biggest cinema in Kilburn until the...