Skip to main content

The Cake Walk Fairground Machine

The Cake Walk was a fairground machine invented in Warrington by Samual Plinston and his brother Frederick and patented in July 1907 by Walter Taylor from New Brighton Wallasey. It consisted of two walkways with handrails which fairgoers used as they tried to maintain their balance while the platform, powered by a steam machine, pitched and tossed. The first ride was built near Birkenhead and after being shown at venues in Cheshire, it was a great success at the Hamburg Fair in December 1908. The idea proved popular, and Cake Walks were operated in Earl’s Court, Crystal Place, Blackpool and Weston Super Mare. 

The original machine from an advert in Billboard 9 Sept 1908

A limited company was set up in April 1910 with £5,000 in 10-shilling shares and an office at 94 Farncombe Street Bermondsey. The same year a factory was opened at the Kingsley Works, Grange Road Willesden Green. In 1911 the Plinston brothers were living nearby at 6 Lewington House, 150 Chapter Road.

 Kingsley Works Grange Road, 1915 Map

But the directors fell out, and in July 1911, Walter Taylor (the managing director) took Frederick Plinston to court in Southport accusing him of falsifying the accounts. Walter alleged there were differences between the takings from the rides on Southport beach and the customer numbers counted by private detectives. But the case was dismissed as the counting system was shown to be inaccurate. However, the company was in trouble financially and was dissolved in June 1912. Today, one of the original Plinston machines still tours the country operated by the Bishton family.

Modern film of people on a cake walk ride.

The name of the ride came from the 19th century dances invented by American enslaved people, to mock the formal dances of the plantation owners who gave a cake to the best performers. The Cake Walk became very popular in vaudeville and music halls. 

Here is a short film clip of the dance, from the Library of Congress.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 1994 IRA Attack on Heathrow: the West Hampstead connection

Just before 6pm on Wednesday 9 March 1994 four mortars shells hit Heathrow Airport . Earlier, news agencies had been telephoned by a man with an Irish accent and using a known IRA code word he said, ‘In one hour’s time, a large number of bombs will be going off in Heathrow Airport . Clear all runways. Stop all flights’. The Anti-Terrorist branch of the Metropolitan Police and airport officials decided not to close the airport after a sweep of the terminal buildings and the runways found nothing suspicious. About 45 mins after the mortars landed they closed Heathrow. The missiles had been launched over the airport fence from 6ft-long tubes fitted in the back of a red Nissan Micra parked about 400 yards away in the Excelsior Hotel car park, just outside the airport. After launching the missiles, a charge inside the car set it on fire and the blaze spread to surrounding cars. The Nissan had been stolen in Kilburn the previous Saturday night and fitted with false number plate...

Looking for Lillie Langtry

‘A Jersey Lily’ by John Everett Millais, 1878 Lillie Langtry, known as the ‘Jersey Lily’, was a mistress of Bertie the Prince of Wales, the future King Edward VII. It is widely believed that she lived in South Hampstead and today her name is remembered by Langtry Road which runs off Kilburn Priory, Langtry Walk in the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate, and the Lillie Langtry pub at 121 Abbey Road, on the corner with Belsize Road. The Lillie Langtry was built in 1969 to replace a demolished Victorian pub, The Princess of Wales, named in honour of Alexandra, Edward’s wife. In 2007 it was briefly called The Cricketers before the name reverted to The Lillie Langtry in 2011. Lillie Langtry’s address is given as Leighton House, 103 Alexandra Road which is now demolished and lies under the Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate. It was thought that Bertie visited her there during their affair which lasted from about June 1877 to June 1880. The dates are approximate as there is little evidence of...

Kilburn National Club

This popular music venue was at 234 Kilburn High Road, on the corner of Messina Avenue. Many famous musicians including Johnny Cash and David Bowie played there. We look at the original building which was the Grange Cinema, and what happened when the National closed and was taken over by two different church groups. Grange Cinema The Grange was a large mansion standing in grounds of nine and a half acres and with a frontage to Kilburn High Road. It was the home of Ada Peters the widow of a wealthy coach builder who made coaches for Queen Victoria . Following Ada ’s death in 1910, the property was sold. The new owner was Oswald Stoll, a major name in the entertainment world who had already built the London Coliseum in St Martin ’s Lane, near Leicester Square . Stoll wanted to erect another Coliseum theatre in Kilburn. In fact, progress overtook him and instead of a theatre, the 2,028 seat Grange cinema opened on 30 July 1914 . This remained the biggest cinema in Kilburn until the...